hey let's bake something
I made a pumpkin pie from scratch yesterday! It was a long process, but surprisingly easy to do. And the flavor of the finished pie was great. You should try it out to celebrate Fall!
Here's what you'll need:
*One small pumpkin, about 6-8 inches in diameter
*3 eggs (4 if you want the pie really fluffy)
*1 can sweetened condensed milk
*2 Tbsps. Pumpkin Pie Spice
*1 C. flour
*1 stick butter at room temp.
*2 Tbsps. sugar
1. Cut pumpkin in half. Remove all the stringy stuff and seeds. Keep the seeds if you want to roast them. I used an ice cream scoop and it worked great.
2. Put the pumpkin in a microwaveable bowl, add a few inches of water, then microwave on high until the insides are soft enough to scoop out, about 20 min.
3. Meanwhile, make your crust. Just add the flour, butter, and sugar together and mix with your hands. Press into a deep pie plate and cook at 425 degrees until crust is light brown.
4. When the pumpkin has cooked long enough, scoop away the flesh from the rind.
5. Puree the pumpkin. I used a hand mixer and it worked fine.
6. Add all the ingredients with the pumpkin puree and mix well. Pour into your prepared crust and bake at 425 degrees for 15 min. Then, reduce the heat to 350 and bake for another 30 min. or until center is firm and a knife inserted comes out clean. Enjoy your homemade pumpkin pie! For extra fat, but necessary goodness, beat a half pint of heavy whipping cream with some sugar until stiff peaks form and serve with your pie. (Hint: take a metal bowl and your beaters and put them in the freezer for awhile before mixing your cream. This helps the cream stiffen faster.)