2.04.2014

fair trade february: sweet treats...

























As I mentioned in this post, Landon and I are focusing on fair trade chocolate, cocoa, and coffee for the month of February.  Our main goal is to become more aware of where these products come from, and challenging ourselves to learn about the production processes of each.

To start with, we bought some fair trade coffee and cocoa at a local health grocery store.  The options were surprisingly limited at the store we went to, but we left with products that claimed to be fair trade...and the prices definitely reflected that!

The coffee is SO good!  We love the flavor, and while we don't consider ourselves coffee snobs, it tastes a whole heck of a lot better than the generic brands we are used to.  And even better than Starbucks' fresh brew, which I don't really care for.

We got a can of cocoa since we were hosting a dinner party over the weekend and chocolate cupcakes were on the menu.  Then today, I decided to make these flour-less dark chocolate zucchini brownies, and used cocoa instead of chocolate chips.  Delicious!

Buying fair trade will definitely cut down on our cocoa and chocolate consumption this month, as the price is higher.  But I think that's a good thing in the long run.  We don't need to be eating a lot of sweets anyway, and being intentional about something as simple as cocoa powder really makes me start thinking about other things in my life.

My next goal is to watch this documentary.  I'm sickened by the thought that maybe there are sides to our favorite candy and chocolate bars that are inhumane and oppressive.  But I want Landon and I to learn about it and be aware of what exactly goes into the cocoa industry.

I also read this post today, and loved the points made.

Do you have any good articles on the fair trade industry, or cocoa or coffee production?  I'd love to hear about them!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails